Wed, 14 Jan 2015. Last updated Sun, 03 May 2015 20:07
According to the Foreign Investment Agency, in 2014 alone, Australia has 24 projects of investment in Vietnam, ranking 16/60 countries and territories investing in Vietnam, and the total registered capital of 30.73 million US dollar. Also, there are 6 raising capital projects with total registered capital increased by 112.11 million US dollar. In general, in 2014, the total registered capital total registered capital of the new and added ones by Australian investors in Vietnam is 142.84 million USD. Until 2014, Australia has 320 valid direct Vietnam investment projects valid for a total registered investment capital of more than $ 1.65 billion US dollar. In general, the size of Australia projects is not large, about 5.2 million, less than the size of the projects of the whole country is US$ 14.3 million.
Currently, Australian investors has invested in 18/21 sectors of Vietnam economy. FDI capital of Australia concentrates mostly on processing and manufacturing industries with 119 projects and US $1.03 billion (comprising 62.7% total registered capital of Australian investors in Vietnam. Agriculture-forestry-fishery ranks second with 15 projects and a total investment of US $ 115.42 million (accounting for 7% of the total registered capital of Australia in Vietnam). Next, they are sectors of mining, accommodation services, eating, and construction, etc. Fields of professional activities, science and technology have attracted many projects, ranking 2nd (after the fields of processing and manufacturing) in the number of Australian investment projects in Vietnam (63 projects), but the scale of projects is small, on average of only about US $0.42 million/project.
The Australian investors mainly invest in two forms: 100% foreign-owned capital, and joint ventures. Currently, there are 233/320 Australian 100% foreign-owned investment projects with total registered capital of US $1.09 billion, accounting for 66.3% of total registered capital of Australia in Vietnam. 74 projects in the form of joint venture have the total registered capital of US $ 471.3 million (28.5% of total registered capital of Australia in Vietnam). The remaining projects are in the form of business cooperation contracts and forms of joint stock companies. Australian investors have invested in 39/63 provinces and cities across the country, including offshore oil and gas sector, mostly in Ba Ria-Vung Tau with 11 projects but the total investment capital of up to US $252.17 million (accounting for 15.3% of total registered capital of Australia in Vietnam).
Hanoi ranks second with 63 projects and a total investment of US $ 236.8 million (accounting for 14.3% of the total registered capital of Australia in Vietnam). TP. Ho Chi Minh City appeals investment projects most with 125 projects, ranking 3rd with a total registered capital of US $161.9 million, comprising 9.8% the total registered capital of Australian projects in Vietnam. This is followed by other provinces such as Son La, Tien Giang, and Haiphong...
Some big projects of Australian investors in Vietnam are:
- Ban Phuc Nikel Mine Co., Ltd, certificated on July 30, 2007. This is the biggest project of Australia in Vietnam at present, the total registered capital of US $136 billion. The project is at Son La province under the control of Amr Nickel Limited. Project has a purpose on mining exploration, processing, transporting, and exporting ore.
- Foster Electronics Co., Ltd in Tien Giang was certificated on September 23rd, 1997 with the total registered capital of US $126 billion under the investment of FBG Vietnam Holding Pty Ltd. The project aims to product beer and beverage in Tien Giang province.
- Bluescope Steel Vietnam Co., Ltd. was certificated on 8/14/2003. The project has the total registered capital of US $105 by BHP Steel Asia Holding Pty Ltd. with the purpose of producing zinc and aluminum alloy coated steel, and alloy based coated steel.
- Vietnam Global Aluminum Company Limited, licensed on August 8, 2011 with a total investment of US $102.8 million, the project was registered by the two investors Mr. Jacky Cheung and Mr. Wangtong, with the aim of shaped aluminum production. The project is located in Ba Ria - Vung Tau.
- Lobana Ha Tinh Co., Ltd, licensed on June 8th, 2011 with a total registered capital of US $57.5 million. The investor is Lobana Trading Co. Pty. Ltd. The project places in Ha Tinh with the purpose of building houses, railways, and road...